Friday, September 13, 2019

DFI DAy 8 MEDIA with Matt

DFI Day 7 - Media

Was great to have Matt here from Point England school and see examples of what they are doing as they are further along in their Manaiakalani journey then we are. Am now thinking I need to lift my self expectations and where I will be operating in a decades time! Nice to know I have enough time to get more confident and capable in my digital technology abilities!

Part of the learning today was about Empowerment, or student agency or efficacy. I love the term that Manaiakalani use better because it's all about empowering the learners. With my five year-olds and in my class we call it "Kid power' or 'Kid choice", and when they talk about it they throw one fist into the air as if they are going to launch themselves into space! I bite the sides of my mouth to stop my smiles as they take it very seriously...and I love that they do!

I am quite keen to get a bit more up-skilled in using google slides as an educational tool for my wee ones. I made this one today but it is pretty basic...



I am also loving making the Explain Everything projects and spend quite a bit of time making differentiated projects for my learners. They are now using them at a more independent level which has further inspired me to attempt to make more incorporating the different curriculums. Next we are going to learn how to video and record ourselves practicing saying our speeches - we have two weeks until speech finals and having them being able to see what they look and sound like will, I believe, make for powerful learning!

Learnt how to make a youtube playlist which I can see myself using, finding and creating lists for future learning for my students. Having everything off of my bookmarks and into another source will be brilliant!

Matt took us through how to live stream and I am wondering if that would be a possibility for our school to use during our speech finals for our whanau who can't make it in. Or perhaps it would be of more value to record each classes speeches so ALL parents can view their child's presentations. Need to think what I will use to do this and how to get it through to my families. I could drop it onto my fb page which is up and running and most parents are part of our class community.

Next week is our Google Educators Exam, a feeling a bit of anxiety however my plan, as it stands, is to find some time to go through the practice exams and see what I need to brush up on! Or maybe not...someone said don't go near them, they tried them, failed them all, lost confidence but still passed the actual exam...go figure eh!

3 comments:

  1. You've learned so much during this DFI and I can see the enthusiasm you have grown for using your newly learnt digitally fluent skills in your teaching and learning. Good luck for your exam next week - I'll be in panic mode beside you lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have picked up some good tools for teaching such as recording and reviewing speeches

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Cathy,
    I love the way you think about the applications each Google App has at your school and in your class. Your enthusiasm is contagious and you are an influencer in your school.
    Ka pai to mahi!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete