Friday, September 6, 2019

DFI Making Connections


DFI Day 7 - Making Connections and Dealing With Data

I find it interesting how everything is to be transparent these days. Feeling slightly vulnerable with this imperative...  not that I don't want to share but it's more around ensuring that I am NOT inadvertently sharing sensitive information! I could see me posting sensitive info out there into the big wide world!




I love the concept of being connected - of my students being connected and that geography not being a barrier. I am most excited though about the change in  mindset among our profession. It did use to be that we only got together in competition, usually on the sports field. Now however, I meet with the NE/Y1 cluster of teachers each term and share challenges and successes, we meet through our Kahui Ako and share best practice and data. We investigate students leading learning through across school workshops. We meet each term with the ECE teachers and NE teachers and chat about transitioning, play-based learning and how we can support, not only our students but each other. All these initiatives show a strengthening of the kaupapa of connectedness.

New learning for the day involved a very quick and INTENSIVE (got slightly anxious!) seminar on the My Map. Had a great deal of difficulty keeping up, however I managed to get a few of the instructions followed and below is the map that I made using the destinations from the cohort, my longest journey and my school pin. However I must not have saved it correctly as some of these are not showing up!
via GIPHY








We also learnt how to obtain and analyse data from students blogs, retrieving the raw data and creating a graph.






5 comments:

  1. The whole notion of connection is fabulous for education. I agree that the mentality of being in competition with other schools is on the way out & we are conscientiously trying to collaborate and share best practice across schools. The Manaiakalani Programme is certainly helping us with this connection, collaboration & visibility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good graph! Also wonder if I'm sharing too much on my (semi) professional blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Cathy,
    collaboration and connecting is the way for us to grab back time in our profession. Our Manaiakalani network has so much to offer us in terms of connecting and using each other's teaching as Inquiry to learn from each other. This is something we haven't really got into in our cluster and it is something that we can get so much from. I am wondering how we, the facilitators, can amp this up.
    Classy graph! Ka pai to mahi!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an eye catching graph! And very much enjoying the multimodal nature of your blog, including Homer Simpson no less... just awesome. Looks like you're keeping up just fine.

    Vulnerable is a great word here, I have had similar wonderings about the move to such transparency in education... can leave one feeling rather exposed at times.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The word vulnerable is definitely a word I could relate to when we were talking about sharing. I can see how this transparency is empowering and engaging. I guess for me my folders are for my eyes only currently with a select few shared with team members and other staff. We are currently talking about collaboration at school and I believe transparency will be a massive part of that process. Great thinking for our own pedagogy. Great work Cathy.

    ReplyDelete